Douglas is a thriving Gaelic Football, Hurling, Ladies Football and Camogie club catering for boys and girls from all ages up to adult level. The club is based in Douglas Village, Cork. The club are now looking to appoint a Games Promotion Officer on a full-time basis. This is an exciting opportunity for the ideal candidate to become an integral part of the future growth and development of the club.
The post holder will be responsible for leading the Under 5 to Under 17 games development and coaching work within the club and our feeder schools at both primary and secondary level. The link between our club & schools is key to the future success of the club. The GPO will work with the local schools throughout the calendar year providing a coaching and coaching support role to maximize participation in Gaelic games. The work program for the post will be agreed on an ongoing basis with the Club Coaching and Games Development Sub-Committee.
This is a Full Time Paid role within the club. The post holder will be required to work 39 hours per week, which may include weekends and evenings, and the hours may vary depending on workload and seasonal changes.
RESPONSIBILITIES SCHOOLS COACHING ACTIVITIES
1. Assess and expand our Club Primary & Secondary Schools Program and develop a Strategy Plan to leads to at least 10% participation growth year-on-year.
2. Appoint primary / secondary School Liaison Officer (ideally teachers), set up and document a meaningful school’s engagement calendar for all local boys/girls/mixed schools in conjunction existing Games Promotion Officers.
3. Organize Blitzes between Primary level feeder schools for 1st & 2nd and 5th & 6th class kids.
4. Develop & improve participation rates among non-Irish and non-traditional GAA families in our catchment area.
5. Introduce a Transition Year Foundation Level Coaching Course and coordinate transition year student’s involvement in coaching at our club.
6. Provide coaching/coaching support in secondary schools and coaching support for secondary school matches.
RESPONSIBILITIES CLUB COACHING ACTIVITIES
1. Manage a Coach Certification Register, set target KPI’s for coach certification and utilize the register to drive improvement in coaching standards.
2. In conjunction with other members of the Coaching and Games Development Sub-Committee,
a. Create, document, and implement a coach development pathway that is based on best practice, our own coaching policy and the GAA Award Structure.
b. Develop and implement a coach education calendar as a subsection of our annual events calendar.
c. Develop and implement an overall coaching excellence policy for all codes that is based on best practice and includes an U5 to U17 player development pathway.
d. Develop and implement a Club Coaching Manual/Repository for U5 to U17 with basic/intermediate/advanced drills and small sided/fun/conditioned games that adheres to club coaching policy and is to be utilized by new and existing coaches.
3. Work with our Coaching and Games Development, Street League and Under-Age Committees to maximize participation, player and coach development and contributing to a positive, enjoyable, and inclusive learning environment across all boys’ and girls’ team.
4. Produce a quarterly report on school and club activities undertaken, activities planned and any proposed project initiatives.
5. Co-ordinate Summer & Easter camps and similar Fundraising events that sustain the GPO role.
The above list is not exhaustive and may include any other reasonable duties as required and deemed appropriate to the post.
1. GAA Level 1 Coaching Qualification.
2. Excellent administration, organizational and IT skills.
3. Own car with a full clean driving license
4. Excellent timekeeper and of a reliable nature.
5. Knowledge of the GAA Player Development Pathway.
6. At least 3 years’ experience of working in the GAA or similar sporting organization (Voluntary or Professional Capacity).
7. Garda vetting and GAA Child Safeguarding 1 are required.
Preference may be given to applicants with:
1. A degree (or equivalent third level qualification) in physical education / sports development or any other relevant discipline to the post.
2. Level 2 GAA Coaching Award.
3. Previous coaching experience at primary schools / secondary school level in the past 3 years.
Application Deadline: 28/1/2022
Expected Start Date: 1/3/2022
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: €25,000.00-€35,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Address for CV’s:
- Phone 087-2273077