Why undergo a Cardiac Screening?
- Up to 100 young people die each year in Ireland from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS)
- 1 in 300 people may have a cardiac abnormality
- The national register recently reported that the incidents of SADS are higher in Ireland than many other European countries.
- In Italy cardiac screening is mandatory for anyone aged 12 to 35 years involved in competitive sport for the past 25 years. They have reduced the incidents of SADS by 89%.
- The GAA’s Medical Scientific and Welfare Committee and the International Rugby Board recommend cardiac screening for all players over the age of 14 years
- The European Society of Cardiology & the International Olympic Committee recommends cardiac screening.
- The AMS service is based on the recommendations of the above named organisations.
Bookings can be made online.